Immigrant Justice Rx Work Plan
• Our group is interested in laying out an alternative framework
for thinking about immigration law and policy. This framework will focus
on the effect that immigration policies have on health—the health
of both immigrants and the American public. We will focus in particular
on current detention and removal policies, and the significant health
consequences they have for immigrants and their families.
• By August 2005 we hope to have a finished article-length paper,
suitable for publication in a journal or law review.
Time Frame and Objectives
• September-December 2004: Conduct research and make contacts with
experts in immigrant health
• January 2005: Meet at New Voices winter retreat, coalesce research
materials and draft an outline for the final article.
• April 2005: Have a draft article completed.
• August 2005: Have a finished article, ready for publication by
the summer conference. Begin the process of seeking publication.
• Since our project will involve extensive research, we would like
to have access to Lexis Nexis and/or other similar databases.
• More minutes to cover our monthly conference calls (see below).
Communication and Accountability
• We will have a monthly conference call to check in and make sure
that the project is progressing in a manner that we all agree upon.
• We will be in regular contact via email. This will be the main
way for us to share relevant articles, reports, conference/event information,
etc. with each other. We will also use email to air any thoughts we might
have about the project’s direction, as it develops.
• We hope to set up an advisory committee of individuals who have
experience working on immigrant health issues. Ideally their expertise
would be in different fields.